Sunday, April 21, 2013

Lunch - Maine Beer Company

Lunch - Maine Beer Company from Portland, Maine.  Currently I know nothing at all about this beer other than it came in as an extra from a trade.  I enjoy the simplistic label they have going and currently ranks in at #96 on Beer Advocate.  I have been on a quest recently to find and taste a lot of great IPA style beers and this one seems to be up my alley of around a 7% abv.

Appearance - This pours with a quite foamy head and notice on the bottom i see a little bit of sediment.

Smell - The sweet smell of hops, piney, honey and grapefruit are predominant and almost remind me of a Bells - Two Hearted but a little less floral.  The hops smell gorgeous in here and remind me of also Russian Rivers - Blind Pig.

Taste - Balanced flavor of hops and the sweetness which gives this an amazing clean taste to it.  The hops come up as soon as you drink it but they do not leave a bitter hoppy taste behind but a nice light coating of sweetness finishes this up.  From the initial smell to what the taste is i don't get as much sweet citrus flavors which are predominately apparent in a lot of IPAs which is nice and refreshing.  Their is almost like a green tea/black tea thing going on with a tiny hint of honey flavor without the sweetness which I haven't seen before in many IPAs but it make this one stand out. 

Mouthfeel - Perfection!!! This sucker drinks smooth as hell and even with the initial pour of it having a large foamy head.  Compared to many other IPAs which leave a huge sticky or bitter tingle in your mouth this one actually has a nice dry finish and is a great refreshing beer.  If many other IPA makers could reproduce the carbonation like this beer it would vastly make a lot of my ratings a lot better for them.

Overall -  The taste is a little subdued from the upfront crazy assault from the nose with the hops of the citrus but the ease of drinkability and refreshment value of this rates awesomely high on my list because I can see myself drinking a lot of these outside on a hot summer day.  For a single IPA this packs a great taste and would rank high on my top ten single IPA beers i have tasted.  I do not know how far this is distributed but it is worth taking a dip into this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment