Thursday, April 18, 2013

Dayman Ipa - Stone Colab





Stone Stone Stone hmmmmmm what is this that you released?  This seems to be a IPA brewed with coffee at 8.7 ABV.  I am going into the hype and trying this only because of the enjoy by series has tasted so well and the some tastes of some aged old guardian and RIS have been tasting really well.  I know stone has produced some great beers but once you drink one they all seem to taste the same.  I hope the jump out of the box with this newer style of beer isn't as hop forward/clone of arrogant bastard comes with the flavor as advertised on the bottle.

Appearance - Above

Smell - What it advertises I smell coffee and ipa which in no way sounds like a good day.  I would never while waking up go "OH YAY MY COFFEE SMELLS LIKE IPA."  I would say Folgers brand coffee is predominant with a nice danky hop/stone brewing smell comes out of this.

Taste -  Well guess what they killed this!!!  This beer tastes great with a coffee forward and hops in the aftertaste.  The taste is coffee and it tastes like a simple coffee ale without the stout inside itself.  I would never see myself enjoying this flavor but this works well.  It is a smooth drinking beer that tastes like cheap coffee and a tiny tingle of masked hops.

Mouthfeel - Upon tasting this and realizing that this is an IPA that tastes like coffee it drinks like a a kolsch because it has this watery effect that is so desirable in a high abv that is masked by awesomeness of the coffee.

Overall -  Uhhhhhhh yeah so uhm yeahhh I go WTF Stone why can't you do more collaborations like this.  I would really love if Stone could produce this with the product they do already and not have to be so hop forward like all of the bastard series.  This is a great example of something a lot of us will taste once and go WHY WHY WHY can't they replicate this again.  I will say this is one of the most innovative IPA style beers I have tasted in this new year. 

O rly - its sessionable as hell and you know what i will say that if it was on tap it would be a crowd pleaser within the most die hard ipa fan!

No comments:

Post a Comment